Snow

Written by Clarence Winter 

I breathe into my cupped hands and rub them together furiously to prevent them from numbing in this cold. Snow is silently falling from the white-painted sky, most of it lands harmlessly on my coat and hat though a few land on the back of my neck. It’s not the worst thing in this world to have touched my skin, though it still causes me to lightly shiver as I walk further into the forest. 


I’d been visiting the forest ever since the first drops of snow arrived three days ago. It was a welcome change to the average day and it wasn’t far from home. So everyone got something. 

I pass through a row of trees and jump down into a small ditch. More snow awaits me and on the opposite side is a pile of snow, enough for me to reach the ledge. I briefly consider my options before walking towards it. I still have another hour to spare. 

I quickly scale the snow and hoist myself up. I brush off any snow that’s managed to cling onto my coat and hat, and that’s when I hear it. A soft mewl, I stand up and walk towards it. I pass through two rows of trees before I locate the source of the mewl. It’s coming from inside a nearby log. 

At first I see nothing, but once I’ve shined my phones light into the log I can see a small creature near the entrance. It’s a cat! It must have got stuck in there while exploring. I slowly reach in and place my arms around its front legs, as gently as I can I begin pulling it towards me. That’s when I see how it got stuck. One of its back legs has fallen into a small hole. Using my left hand, I slowly free it. 

The cat immediately exits the log. Looks like it didn’t need that much help after all. It begins to run away only to pause and run back towards me. It rubs itself against my leg and allows me to pet it a few times. Then it goes off, leaving me alone once again. 

Although most people wouldn’t consider it a major event I’m glad that I ran into the cat. However brief it was, it was nice to interact with something other than my parents. 

My musing is brought to a halt when I hear two pairs of boots. I whirl around and sure enough I can see Mother and Father approaching me. The hour must have flown by- 

That’s when I see Father holding “old reliable.” 

I brace myself for what’s about to happen. I just hope that cat got back home safe. 

Comments

Popular Posts