Mondays Book Talk - Gone Girl

Written by Ben Kesp



Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 



Presented to me as a gift, I had left Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn to one side for months before getting stuck in. There has been much hype about this novel which also featured as a movie in 2014, adapted for screen by Flynn. 

Gillian Flynn is an American author, screenwriter and comic book writer who has currently published three novels; Sharp Objects, Dark Places and Gone Girl. I have not read any of Flynn’s previous works so I was eager to read this psychological thriller. 

I was somewhat unsure at the beginning with the pace the book was taking however moving into the story, it pulled me in, not so much from the point of view of it being gripping but more for intrigue to see where the story would end up. Without giving too much away on the plot, the story begins with the disappearance of Amy Dunne on her fifth wedding anniversary to husband Nick. The search begins to find Amy’s body and Nick is not faring too well in the investigations. Flynn excellently narrates the two time lines from the point of view of both of the main characters, Nick and Amy. At times I did question the credibility of characters through the actions they took however the sense of curiosity remains very strong throughout the book. 

Having enjoyed thoroughly the relationship struggles between Nick and Amy, and exploring how the character of Nick fights against dealing with many aspects in his life, the ending of the story is abrupt. I had been expecting more, only to turn the page to discover there was no more! My feelings are mixed but overall an intriguing read that will keep you turning the pages to discover how the story unfolds. 

Comments

Popular Posts