Mondays Book Talk - Shadowplay

Written by Ben Kesp 


Shadowplay by Joseph O’Connor 

Having first spotted Shadowplay in a book store late last year it pulled my attention as a must read, but on the day, I did not purchase however the book would fall into my hands by Christmas which was a nice surprise. 

I could not wait to get stuck in however once I started it, it just never quite drew me in and I noticed the time between picking up the book to continue reading grew longer and longer. I love the concept of the story and its fictionalised telling of the lives of Bram Stoker, Henry Irving and Ellen Terry and the complex intersecting of their lives through their work at the Lyceum Theatre, London at a time when Jack the Ripper roamed the streets and Oscar Wilde was the subject of gossip and rumours. 

I believe the book could have been more focused as it moved around at different points. The symbolism that Stoker happened across and used as inspiration for the construction of the story and character of Dracula was interesting, however I would have liked to read more on that. At times the descriptive styles were too much, if not forced. However, on saying all of that, the book is an enjoyable read and I did like how the story at the end focused in on the characters in their later years. 

A nice read if you like to read about these amazing people, Stoker, Irving and Ellen interact in London which is beautifully brought to life by O’Connor. 

Comments

Popular Posts